Skip to main content

IF YOU WERE PHILIP

 


Permit me to tell you a bit about Philip. I met Philip in our undergraduate days at the University of Jos. He was never late even though he usually comes from home. I tried several times to beat him in punctuality but I failed on several attempts. Philip was cheerful, full of life, and always the spark of the house. 


Last week was a tough yet defining week for me, I lost Philip who has been a friend for 10 years. Did I see it coming? Certainly not. Was I anticipating it sooner? I doubt it. But will we all die? Of course yes. 


This is not a tribute but be patient with me as I share with you the lessons I have learned at the cause of his demise this week. I have no doubt they will bless your heart.


  1. Philip lived well: I know people are often guilty of saying things about people who are gone that are not usually true, but with a deep sense of honesty, humility, and certitude, at 27, Philip lived well. This is no fallacy, this young man touched lives everywhere he went, if not with his smiles, with generosity. If not with kind words, with selfless services. From the testimonies, I heard even from his superiors, I was challenged to start reworking my life all over again. 

  2. Philip left traces: A few months ago, I learned a valuable lesson about life. I learned that one never lived if he or she failed to leave a footprint, an imprint, or even a fragment of oneself in people's lives. Yes, he is gone, but Philip left himself in us, he still lives in us.

  3. Philip lived life to the fullest: Without exaggeration, I tell you he lived to the fullest. Even though he was consistently facing challenges with his health, I have never seen Philip frown, I have never heard him raise his voice, and he was always the spark of the party wherever he went. He was never late for anything, Philip is always showing up. He was always in the front snapping selfies for us with his hallmark smile. Never once would you see what he is going through shown on his face. He fought hard and well.

  4. Make your priorities right: A few of our coursemates went to pay a condolence visit to the family, his parents left us in awe. They were the ones consoling us instead. As we were leaving, his father said something thought-provoking, he said: "I hope all of you here know Jesus? You see, this life has nothing. If it is money, where is it now? If it is a certificate, where is it now?". I left broken and thinking. If the solution for Philip to stay back was money, he would be here today. If it were certificates, at 27 Philip is thinking of his Ph.D. already, and he was working here in Jos and with two other international organizations in the UK and USA respectively. All these things are important but they won't last, only what we have done for love's reward will stand the test of time. Please set your priorities right.



Philip is gone, we are here, what would become of you when you are gone too? Put yourself in Philip's shoes and tell yourself truly how you feel about switching roles if you were Philip.


Dear young people, life is short, live it well and live it right. Honestly, our biggest deception is the mindset that we are still young, sadly dead does not discriminate. Life is short, however, if you live well you will not need another shot at it. 


Thank you for reading

You can leave your comments


Comments

  1. Beautiful and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep impacting lives sir. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is indeed a mystery. Rest calm Philip Imade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really touching kept me thinking about a song by Amik Adams "you get everything and you knw get Jesus nah hell you dey go"but in Philip's case he got what will last till eternity JESUS.
    REST ON PHILIP IMADE

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a serious call to rethink about the perception we have about life. May God help to be careful with the space and time given to us. Rest in peace Philp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is indeed short but make impact in anyway possible.Rest in peace Philip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is a stage and everyone a player.Phlip has played his role well.You are call to take stock of your life and play well too.Shallom

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well lived life. May the good Lord bless the family he left behind and comfort everyone in Jesus name. Amen. 🙏 🙏 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing , it was such an encouraging peace.
    # philipliveson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoooosh! Thanks for this.
    Another perspective to his demise was necessary.

    May our lives bring glory to God daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read once, touched twice...Glad I came upon this, may he rest in peace with God

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OUR LOVE STORY - WAL & NEN

  HOW WE MET Wal We have been friends on Facebook for quite some time but have not been conversing until December 6th, 2020, when she first replied to my message. That evening marked the beginning of the journey that led us here. We quickly blended in conversation, intellectually and spiritually, and by Christmas, we had agreed to meet for the first time by December 30th at the Jos Wildlife Park. Well, that meeting defined everything that we have today for me. I had told my kid brother two days earlier that once I meet her, and if the physical Meemwa aligns with the virtual one, that would be the bus stop for me - I would have found my wife. Meemwa One faithful morning I woke up and decided to check my messages on Facebook and came across new messages which I replied to and got an immediate response from this young man we started chatting on Facebook and after some days my cousin and friend came to visit, and I was giving them updates then they asked of the name and it turned o

THE CRACKED POT

There was once a servant water bearer who had two pots tied to a wooden bar, which he used to hang on his shoulder to supply water to his master from a stream down the hilly house. The pot on the left side is perfect and in good shape fulfilling its purpose effectively, whereas the one on the right is cracked and leaks water right from the stream up to the master’s house. For two years, the water bearer kept using those two pots just the way they were, with the perfect pot delivering full quantity of water and the cracked one delivering just half. Hence for two good years, the water bearer could only deliver one and half pot of water to his master on every trip he made to the stream instead of   two whole pots which ought to be some sort of reward for his effort of shouldering two pots. One fateful day, the cracked pot got worried and apologized to the water bearer, expressing how sorry it was for the imperfection that has marred its being, for leaking water from the stre